I do not agree with what this article is talking about. There are couple reasons. And the first reason is that their ways of controlling the experiment is just not working well. I have taken a lot of physics and biology classes. I know the fact that a lot of experiments can fail easily just by making one tiny mistake. There are so many other reasons that the teenagers who participated in this experiment to learn about sex. The exposure these teenagers experienced can come from anywhere, family, TV, internet, etc... Some numbers that are presented in the article is also very difficult to compare with a situation that has no impact from degrading music. They were not in a well controlled environment. The result a bit too vague for us to conclude degrading music lead teenagers to increased sexual activities.
Just another thing I kind of disagree with the studies is the lyrics itself. Often when I am listening to songs, I do not listen to its lyrics. Sometimes lyrics are really hard to follow because of the way they sing. There are differences between people who only listen to the songs and people who go to the concerts a lot, because singers can visualize the "degrading sexual" attitudes in their costumes and dances.
Overall, to me this study is not very solid and I assume the tester can easily conclude the data differently at the end of test. After all these experiments are not done in the lab with humans who interact with nothing but music.

No comments:
Post a Comment