The article talks about some common beliefs by a large number of populations. The author, Alissa Quart, describes a "Mozart Effect" study done by Gordan Shaw and Frances Rauscher. To sum up, the study concludes classic music can enhance "a paper-folding-and-cutting test." Somehow over the course of past ten years, this turned into a belief that classic music can nurture babies and create prodigies. I see this as the baby products industry's strategy to sell their products. In one way, the whole process of educating children is for parents to satisfy their own prides. Since the children do not ask their parents to educate them while entertained, the parents are just doing it for sake themselves. Oh babies’ job is to just live the days as they are. We do not have to worry about them being bored or entertained. The babies can find things that can entertain themselves; and often what entertains them is the process of looking for entertainments.
I, personally, think music does not (or unconsciously) affect me when I am focusing on doing something. For example, when I read books, I recognize any music is just a disturbance. When I produce something, I cannot hear anything. The difference is if I am inputting or outputting. When I am writing or outputting my ideas, I just shut down everything other than my outputting function. However, when I am learning something, I receive inputs from my senses so shutting down my ears is a bit harder. In this sense, listening to classic music could be something to stimulate babies’ brain so they can learn to multitask double inputting (reading and listening) or inputting/outputting (writing and listening.)
No comments:
Post a Comment